This is a place to talk about dogs, our connection to them, and how we can use this connection to help foster the relationship with them we desire. Why is it so important to talk about our relationship with dogs to understand how to work with them? Because when we talk about dogs, we're really talking about ourselves.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Rebirth of a Terrier


This is how Roxy looks nowadays. She used to be so stressed and anxious all the time. Things aren't perfect for her yet. But the transformation that's occurred has been amazing. Will she ever be a completely calm, relaxed, easy going dog? She's a terrier, so calm and relaxed are relative terms. But when I see how she can just lie around outside in the sun and hang out with me with this look on her face it makes me feel so good knowing how far she's come. Which of course means I've come pretty far too:)

I just wanted to add an update to this post by saying that Roxy is now SO much better about riding in the vehicle with me. She used to be incredibly wound up and anxious, vibrating like crazy. But I recently decided to see how she would do if I took her on a drive with me. And she did AMAZING. No whining....not even once! She just sat down in her seat, and then rode shotgun with me the whole time, even deciding to start sniffing around the truck instead of getting fixated on what was going on outside. We even drove by a dog, which did get her attention, but no whining or barking. In the past this would have sent her into a frenzy of whining, lunging, spinning around, barking, and possibly even biting whoever is closest to her. It's incredible to think that I was out with Roxy, just driving around like normal people do with their dogs every day. It's such a small thing, yet the implications are enormous. So now, not only can she just hang out with me calmly outside, but she can also ride shotgun with me too. And since I love driving around in my truck, that's a good thing:)


2 comments:

  1. Terriers have the best happy faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, when they're happy they're HAPPY, and they're going to let you know it:)

    ReplyDelete